If you have a child in high school (Canada) or trying to be ahead and prepare, then this listing is for you.
Using the 2022/23 (Oct. – Mar) season in Ontario, I have compiled a list of Prapatory/Scholastic teams and Non- Scholastic (Prep Teams) that had High School teams for student athletes.
Below are the High School Basketball Circuits listed (as of July 2023).
- NJC/NSC – National Junior Circuit or National Senior Circuit
- OSBA – Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association
- The Platinum Circuit
- Premier League by CYBL
What’s the difference:
- Prep Teams
- allow your child to attend their own high school while still playing at a competitive level through a series of Prep Circuit/ tournaments
- They are known to focus on athletics more and can be seen as another form of competitive Rep team depending on which circuit they participate in
- There are potential opportunities for exposure through the amount of media coverage they receive
2. Prep School
- Private school (in person/brick & mortar) or virtual educational institutions that has strong academic and athletic programs
- Some travel during regular school season while competing during summer AAU season
- Student athletes attend the school and play on the Prep team
- Majority on this list are well known within Ontario, Canada
- There are higher opportunities for exposure due to media coverage and strategic travel tournaments/game
Additionally , if you are looking to attend high divisional college/university in the U.S., note that coaches recruit students that attend Prep School.
*note* This is for guidance purposes only. As in anything ensure you attend tryouts or contact each school or team directly to help you in your decision making.